Trainer Points are a measurement of the player's capability and experience as a dog trainer in Nintendogs. These points are used to measure the player's rank as a trainer, unlock new breeds and interiors, unlock certain items in the local store, and allows them to teach advanced tricks to their dogs. Trainer Points unlock certain items, such as Dog Breeds and new houses in the Interior Decorator.
Trainer Point Accumulation
- Winning a contest = 100 Trainer Points earned
- Placing second in contest = 70 Trainer Points earned
- Placing third in a contest = 50 Trainer Points earned
- Losing a contest = 30 Trainer Points earned
- Taking a dog for a walk = 75 to 200 Trainer Points earned. Some results have 0 Trainer Points
- Brushing the dog = 1 Trainer Point earned per minute
- Successful friendship with another trainer's dog = 10 to 30 Trainer Points earned
- Bathing the dog = 10 to 30 Trainer Points earned
- Perfect timing on feeding = 10 to 30 Trainer Points earned
- Interacting with the pet (petting, toys, etc.) = 1 to 3 Trainer Points earned
- Teaching the dog a new trick = 1 to 10 Trainer Points earned
Losing Trainer Points
- Using records that scare your puppy (especially Surprise Record)
- Neglecting your puppy for a number of days.
- Forgetting to pick up poop on walks
- Fighting with the neighbors' dogs on walks
- Bumping into your dog with the Mario Kart, Peach Kart, Bowser Kart, etc.
- Overwork the dog
- Playing with toys that scare the dog (Balloon, dog photo, bubble blower, meteorite, etc.)
- Making your dog angry (Tricks, Toreador Record, etc)
- Puppy Love = 2 points
- Adoration = 100 points
- Archie Level = 300 points
- Amateur Trainer = 1,000 points
- Semi-Pro Trainer = 2,000 points
- Pro Trainer = 3,000 points
- Junior Handler = 5,000 points
- Top Handler = 7,000 points
- Star Handler = 10,000 points
- Dog Tamer = 15,000 points
- Veteran Tamer = 20,000 points
- Charismatic Tamer = 30,000 points
- The General = 50,000 points
- Dog Master = 70,000 points
- Nintendogs Master = 99,999 points
- There is an exploit to get as many Trainer Points as possible. The player must leave their dog as they brush them, especially for an extended amount of time.
- To check your Trainer Points, go to your "Go out Menu", then "Info", then "Trainer Info".
- If a dog is left idle on the grooming screen for a while, there will be a boost in Trainer Points.
- If a trainer hasn't unlocked a certain dog breed or house style, they can visit a trainer they haven't met via Bark Mode.