- The Standard Tabby Cat seems to represent a Domestic Shorthair, also known as a Moggie/Mixed Breed. Domestic Shorthair cats have a broad gene pool and commonly feature a generic tabby coat pattern with different variations.
- The Standard Spotted Tabby Cat features a leopard-print pelt pattern that closely resembles a purebred Bengal or Ocicat. These are cat breeds which resemble feral species but were developed from at least one domesticated parent.
- The Standard Calico Cat is the result of a mutation in the orange pelt gene, which is unspecific to any particular cat breed. The mutation was originally observed at a high frequency around Northern Africa and the Mediterranean. Almost all Calico cats are female*, and the difficulty of finding a male Calico is reflected in-game.
- Nintendogs + Cats: "This well-proportioned kitten is healthy and playful -- and not fussy about its owner."
In Nintendogs + Cats
The Standard Cat comes in four color patterns: Solid, Tabby, Spotted Tabby, and Calico. Standard Cats may have two different body types: a regular cat build, or a shorter-legged variant reminiscent of the munchkin cat. It does not have a "Surprise Me!" option.
The solid variant of the Standard Cat can come in many colors such as silver (light grey), blue (darker grey), cream, black, white, and more. The Solid Standard Cat does not have any patterns, such as spots or stripes. It's just one color, and one color only. The black Solid Standard Cats seem to have shiny, sleek fur.
Standard Tabby kittens are half striped, half white. The striped half comes in different stripe patterns, resembling either classic or mackerel tabby markings. Colors in the striped half include silver, gray, shades of ginger (yellow counts as orange ginger), and brown, with the base of the striped half being a much lighter shade than the stripes.The stripes on the silver tabby kittens can be dark gray, but don't seem to come in pure black.
The Spotted Tabby resembles a domesticated version of the leopard or snow leopard. Its color variations are silver, ginger and tan. The only places that it has stripes are on its head, tail, and legs. The rest of the markings are its leopard print spots.
The Calico kitten is white with ginger/brown and black patches, which can come in a paler "pastel" variant or a monochromatic version (white with patches in blue and silver). The patches come in different arrangements, providing the player with a variety to choose from.
Players can rarely find a bicolor Calico with a tuxedo cat pattern. This comes in different colors, such as brown and silver.
Just like with real Calico cats, males are relatively rare to find with this pattern.
- In real life, a solid white cat with blue eyes, or even one blue eye, is exponentially more likely to be born deaf. If the cat has only one blue eye and is born with deafness, it will only be born deaf on the side that the blue eye is on.
- Cats with blue eyes are also likely to be blind.
- This is the cheapest animal breed in Nintendogs + Cats.
- Sometimes the back of a brown and black calico has the shape of a beagle on it.