Labrador Retrievers are sporting dogs named for their original purpose as companions to fishermen, bred to retrieve nets from the cold water. For this reason, Retrievers have webbed feet and otter-like tails.
The Labrador Retriever is more widely known for its loyalty and trust. It makes for a great pet and a nice companion, and will get along with almost any other dog. This easy temperament has earned the retriever widespread recognition as a therapy animal and/or guide dog.
In real life, the American Kennel Club (AKC) recognizes three colors of the Labrador Retriever breed: chocolate, black, and yellow. Contrary to popular belief, certain colors are not isolated to certain colored parents. Two black and brown parents can produce yellow puppies. Silver fur has begun to become prominent in the breed, but the AKC refuses to acknowledge it yet until it becomes a more common occurrence than it currently is.
Sometimes Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are mistaken for chocolate Labs. One thing to look for when trying to differentiate the two breeds is the dog's coat type: while the Lab's short fur is perfectly straight, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever's short fur is somewhat wavy.
- Nintendogs: "Originating in England, this breed is highly intelligent, kind in nature, and great as assistance dogs."
- Nintendogs + Cats:
(NTSC): "Prized for its intelligence and gentle disposition, this English breed is a great guide dog."
(PAL): "Bred in England, the Labrador is highly intelligent, affectionate and great as a guide dog."
Unlocking the Breed
|Chihuahua & FriendsJA||Starter Breed|
|Shiba Inu & FriendsJA||Obtain 10,000 Trainer Points|
|Dachshund & FriendsJA||Obtain 25,000 Trainer Points|
|Chihuahua & Friends||Obtain 45,000 Trainer Points|
|Labrador & Friends||Starter breed|
|Dachshund & Friends||Obtain 50,000 Trainer Points|
|Dalmatian & Friends||Obtain 45,000 Trainer Points|
|Best Friends||Starter Breed|
Nintendogs + Cats
|Toy Poodle & New Friends||Starter Breed|
|Golden Retriever & New Friends||Obtain 3,400 Owner Points|
Play for 15 days in a row
|French Bulldog & New Friends||Obtain 5,800 Owner Points|
Play for 21 days in a row
In NintendogsIn Nintendogs, Labs appear in the breed's three standard coat colors: black, chocolate, and yellow.
In Nintendogs + CatsIn Nintendogs + Cats, the Labrador still comes in the same three coat colors as it did in the original game, and the colors come in different shades.
If the player chooses "Surprise Me!" they may find:
- a pure white Labrador Retriever
- a silver Labrador Retriever
- a Labrador Retriever with a Dalmatian pattern in either black spots or brown spots.
Nintendogs + Cats
As a Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
"A puppy for you to train on your Nintendo DS. They come in a wide variety of breeds, colors, coat styles, and personalities. You can train them, use dog toys to play with them, and feed them treats to establish a real link with your virtual pet. Other features include the ability to enter your dog in disc-catching contests and agility trials on obstacle courses."
- In SSBB, a yellow lab from Nintendogs is an assist trophy that interferes with the player's view of the stage. It is the only Nintendogs mascot breed to be one-- the other breeds are Nintendogs + Cats mascot breeds.
- Despite the fact that the kennel information states the breed is English, the Lab is actually from the Newfoundland-Labrador region of Canada. This is because the territory of Canada was possessed by Great Britain at the time Labradors were originally bred.