The Chihuahua (Japanese: チワワ Chihuahua) is a toy dog breed in Nintendogs and Nintendogs + Cats. Chihuahuas are the smallest dogs in the world, weighing about 6 pounds or under. The breed is the mascot of one of the three Nintendogs games.
The chihuahua's name originated from the settlement of Chihuahua, Mexico, where it was first bred. Being the world's smallest dog, it is hard to imagine this breed originating from the wolf, which is why scientists theorize that it actually originated from the small, desert-dwelling Fennec Fox.
The Chihuahua is widely regarded as cute, with the features of its head being infant-like, right down to a soft spot in the front of its skull. Chihuahuas are also sometimes portrayed in popular culture as spoiled.
- Nintendogs: "The world's smallest dog originated in Latin America. Its sparkling pupils and large ears give it its charm."
- Nintendogs + Cats: "The world's smallest dog originated in Mexico. Its large eyes and ears give it its charm."
Unlocking the Breed
|Chihuahua & Friends||Starter Breed|
|Labrador & Friends||Obtain 50,000 Trainer Points|
|Dachshund & Friends||Obtain 45,000 Trainer Points|
|Dalmatian & Friends||Obtain 8,000 Trainer Points|
|Best Friends||Obtain 50,000 Trainer Points|
|Chihuahua & FriendsJA||Starter Breed|
|Shiba Inu & FriendsJA||Obtain 50,000 Trainer Points|
|Dachshund & FriendsJA||Obtain 40,000 Trainer Points|
Nintendogs + Cats
|Toy Poodle & New Friends||Obtain 5,800 Owner Points|
Play for 21 days in a row
|Golden Retriever & New Friends||Obtain 600 Owner Points|
Play for 5 days in a row
|French Bulldog & New Friends||Starter Breed|
In the original games, the Chihuahua has four different coats: three long-haired coats (Cream, Red & White, and Tricolor), and one short-haired coat (Tan).
It can be difficult to differentiate the Cream Chihuahua from the Tan, but Tan Chihuahuas lack fur on the inner ear and tail, while all long-haired coats have feathery tails.
In Nintendogs + Cats
In Nintendogs + Cats, the Chihuahua comes in Cream, Red & White, and Tricolor, and it comes in shorthair and longhair.
If the player chooses the "Surprise Me!" option, they may find:
- a brown Chihuahua with a black snout
- a silver Chihuahua with a black snout
- a pure white Chihuahua
Some of the neighbors have a Chihuahua. They are listed as follows.
- Elroy, owned by Rich
- Coby, owned by Emily
- Murphy, owned by Ann
- Maxwell, owned by the Kennel (display dog)
Nintendogs + Cats:
Nintendogs + Cats
- According to American Kennel Club, the Chihuahua is the smallest dog breed in the world.
- This dog is the only breed that has two different coat lengths.
- It also has the most coats out of any other breed in the games.